Barnyard Origami Lesson
Objective: To show a love for humankind and animals by having students build their own barn with different animals.
Materials: Square pieces of white computer paper (5 or more per student), colored pencils, crayons, pencils
Prep: Create a PowerPoint that has the instructions to build an origami house and other animals. The best way to do this is to go on google images and look up instructions there. These will break down the steps simply. Have the origami house on the first slide and then other animals on the following slides. Each slide after the house should have two animals per slide. This lesson we used cats, dogs, pigs, horses, rabbits, and ducks. Create an example of the house- this will be your barn for the farm and each animal.
This class will be at each student’s individual pace. Students who want to focus on only creating the barn with one animal and choose to spend the rest of their time decorating them can do so. Other students whose interest is peaked by the creating of origami can create as many animals as they please.
- Introduce the idea of the love of animals and that respecting animals is how we respect humankind. Pull up the slideshow of the origami house and different origami animals.
- Hand out white squares of paper, pencils, colored pencils, and markers.
- Walk the class through assembling the house while the image of the house is on the board. Encourage students who finish first to decorate the inside and outside of the barn.
- Give all the students time to decorate their barn.
- Pull up the next slide of two different barn animals and walk students through creating them.
- For the rest of the class allow students who choose to decorate their barn and animals to do so. For the other members of the class continue to show them different animals to create.
See also: Origami Insects