Duration: 45 minutes-1 hour
Vocabulary: “Curvilinear,” “rectilinear,” “shape”, “design,” “abstraction”
Objectives: To practice and illustrate abstraction in art, and experiment with non-representational expression
Materials: Paper, pens, coloring materials
- Explain how abstract art focuses on experimenting with and examining the most basic fundamentals of design to create unique, thought provoking and sometimes optically entrancing visuals.
- Explain how the design fundamentals include shape, line, and color, and how this projects experiments with them in the same way abstract artists do.
- Begin by drawing irregular lines and shapes on the paper, making sure never take the pen off the paper. Practice both with with curvilinear and rectilinear lines and shapes.
- In the shapes made by the lines crossing over each other, draw designs like dots, other shapes, lines, etc.
- Color in the most interesting way you can.