Level: Middle School
Duration: Three 45-minute class periods
Historical Overview: German Expressionism and Max Beckmann (1884-1950)
Goals and Objectives: To introduce paint media and psychological use of figure
Vocabulary: Expressionism, acrylics, glazes
Materials: Acrylic paints, brushes, plastic containers
- Anticipatory Set: Show posters and books of different German Expressionism paintings.
- Slide lecture on history of Expressionism.
- Class discussion on artist Max Beckmann.
- Review color wheel and use of black line.
- Review vocabulary.
- Demonstrate drawing a sketch using masking tape and covering areas of work and basic glazing techniques.
- Have students create preliminary drawing with charcoals.
- Students set up palettes.
- Students transfer sketch onto canvas.
- Students paint.
- Students develop criteria.
- Students pick best painting.
- Students critique paintings.