Pizza Project Collages: A group project that inspires team building. Age appropriate for preschool through elementary school.
Project Ideas: responsibility, health, non traditional materials, interpersonal, team building
Vocabulary: Basic shapes, including circle, square, triangle, and rectangle, pattern, texture, repetition, collage
Materials: Large brown paper (large paper bags or butcher paper), scrap construction paper, glue and scissors
- Take brown paper and cut into a large circle.
- Have students work together to curl edges of paper circle to make a pizza crust.
- Have students discuss their favorite pizza toppings.
- Cut shapes for different toppings.
- Pizza can have different sections with different toppings.
- Glue on pizza parts.
Opportunity for discussion and play:
- Students can pretend their group is its own pizza shop.
- Create a name for restaurant, menu with prices, and descriptions for different toppings with names for different kinds of pizza.
*This project is a great way to encourage young children to make collage and also talk about healthy foods. Are there different kinds of vegetables that can make a pizza a bit healthier? Have them work in teams to figure out how to make a healthy pizza, and present all the vegetables they chose as toppings.
References: Nutrition.gov – food safety, recipes, and cooking resources