Project Title : Bats and the Magic of Stencils Using Pastels!
Description: Students use pastels over bats stencils to create two bat pictures
Grade Level or Target Age Range: Preschool to early elementary (Fishtown Recreation Center)
Historical Art Examples or References: N/A
Vocabulary: Bats, Stencils, Symmetry, Positive and Negative Space
Materials: Paper, pastels, scissors, tape
Anticipatory Set: N/A
- Fold black paper. Draw half of a bat with center falling on the fold line. Cut out bats and unfold black paper.
- Tape three bats to colored construction paper, pulling tight on a black paper so bats are flat against colored construction paper.
- Students color black bats with different color pastel.
- Students rub the edge of the bat using their fingers pushing and blending pastel outwards away from center of bat unto colored construction paper.
- Students take each bat off and place onto another piece of colored construction paper to create a second picture.
What do bats do?
What do bats eat?
The children were surprised at how the stencils worked.