Project Title: Art Projects For the Letter V
Description: paper violins and volcanoes
Author: Mary Hager
Grade level or Target Age Range: Preschool
Vocabulary: the letter V, volcano, violin
Materials: For violins: construction paper, string, liquid water colors, paint brushes, and single hole punch. For volcano: construction paper, glue, and cotton balls.
- Begin by cutting the violin shape out of construction paper.
- Punch three hole at the very top and the very bottom of the violin.
- Choose two liquid water color options and allow the students to decorate their violin.
- Demonstrate how to string the yarn through each hole in the violin. Assist students as needed.
- Once the string has been properly strung, tape the ends to the back of the violin.
- Give each student a piece of brown construction paper with a large V drawn on it.
- Have students cut along the black line of the V. When they are finished, they will have a triangle shape, like a volcano.
- Have students cut off top of the triangle.
- Glue the brown volcano to a black piece of construction paper, leaving room at the top of the paper.
- Discuss volcanoes (why do they erupt, what comes out of them, what color is lava).
- Show pictures of erupting volcanoes to the students on the Ipad (for inspiration).
- Give the students scrap pieces of red, yellow, and orange construction paper and let them create the eruption of their volcanoes.
- The last step is to add the smoke clouds with cotton balls.
“Transforming Lives Through Art”
~ Mary Hager